- This event has passed.
Holding Remote Office Hours That Students Use
Tuesday, July 28, 2020 @ 9:30 am - 11:30 am
This event will be held remotely. Registrants will be provided with a link to join and technical requirements.
Many of us will be running office hours remotely this fall. Get concrete ideas and plan how you’ll run remote office hours to ensure your students get their needs met, and take advantage of collaborative opportunities while managing technical challenges. Office hours are a chance to establish relationships and support student success, as well as answer specific questions. We’ll explore the challenges and opportunities so that participants will have an informed approach to decide:
- whether you’ll do synchronous, asynchronous, or both
- your platform
- how you’ll establish your availability (scheduling)
- technologies you might use during office hours for screen capture (for those common questions), virtual whiteboarding and real-time problem solving
- format: how you’ll juggle multiple conversations, questions, problems, and requests at the same time
- draft your syllabus blurb or email/Announcement invitations to encourage students to join and establish student expectations around preparation and technological requirements
- Making them successful
- what are a few first questions you might ask to build relationships and support student success
- approaches to ensure your students learn from each-other collaboratively
- how you will evaluate if they were effective and get student input