- This event has passed.
Designing and Facilitating Remote Discussions
Thursday, January 14, 2021 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
Date and time: Thursday, January 14 10:00 a.m.-noon, with additional asynchronous* work before the session
Location: Online (link will be emailed to registrants prior to the workshop)
The first part of the workshop will be offered asynchronously, and participants will be expected to engage with those activities prior to the synchronous session.
In workshop, you will develop a toolbox to facilitate remote classroom discussions through hands-on experience with typical challenges. Explore approaches, skills and practical applications for synchronous and asynchronous discussions. Questions addressed may include:
- What are the goals of online discussion?
- How can discussions be structured? How do I adapt activities designed for a face-to-face discussion for an online discussion?
- How can you get all students talking (or typing, or recording, or drawing/writing), and keep things on track?
- And, how you you assess what students are learning?
* Asynchronous means that you work on your own schedule, either independently or collaboratively (but possibly at different times). Asynchronous discussion structures include contributing to online discussion boards, Q&A forums, and collaborative documents or whiteboarding tools. In a synchronous online discussion, participants (and often the instructor) interact using a virtual platform at a specific time. Structures include using breakout rooms, small or whole group collaborative documents or whiteboarding tools.