- This event has passed.
Inclusive Teaching Workshop
Friday, May 14, 2021 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Offered by Delta in partnership with the Collaborative for Advancing Learning and Teaching
How do you make your content, activities, language you use, and classroom logistics inclusive for students with diverse backgrounds? As students interact with instructors and with each other, how do you respond to “hot moments” or “difficult discussions” in the classroom? Aspects of prejudice, privilege, and power regularly impact undergraduates on our campuses. Without training, knowing how to address these inequities effectively can be uncomfortable and challenging. This workshop is designed to build your confidence responding in the moment.
(1) explore the perspectives of underrepresented and minoritized students on our campuses,
(2) analyze their own and student identity and the impact that identity has on the learning environment,
(3) discuss a framework for addressing hot moments and difficult discussions in the classroom,
(4) practice what to say during these hot moments or difficult discussions, and
(5) examine a range of inclusive teaching approaches to use in the classroom and beyond.
An emphasis in the session is on “saying the words,” deconstructing conversations, and receiving feedback.