- This event has passed.
Inclusive Teaching Workshop
Friday, November 5, 2021 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
Location: Biocommons, 1st floor of Steenbock Library
Facilitators: Rosette Cirillo and Jess Maher
Offered by Delta in partnership with the NSF INCLUDES Aspire Alliance.
How do you make your content, activities, language you use, and classroom logistics inclusive for students with diverse backgrounds? As students interact with each other more often with active learning, how do you respond to “hot moments” or “difficult discussions” in the classroom? Aspects of prejudice, privilege and power regularly impact undergraduates on our campuses. Without training, knowing how to address these inequities effectively can be uncomfortable and challenging. This workshop is designed to build your confidence in using inclusive teaching strategies.
- explore their own and students’ social and cultural identities and the impact that identity has on learning,
- consider how students’ cultural wealth can be leveraged to enhance learning,
- discuss a framework for addressing hot moments and difficult discussions in the classroom,
- practice what to say during these hot moments or difficult discussions, and
- examine a range of inclusive teaching approaches to use in the classroom and beyond.
This session emphasizes opportunities to “say the words,” deconstructing conversations and receiving feedback.