- This event has passed.
Inclusive Teaching Workshop
Wednesday, November 13, 2019 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Date and time:Wed, Nov 13 from 9am-12pm
Location: BioCommons 110a (1st floor of Steenbock Library)
Facilitator: Devin Wixon and Don Gillian-Daniel
Offered by Delta in partnership with the Collaborative for Advancing Learning and Teaching
As student demographics and backgrounds become more diverse, how do you make your content, activities, language you use, and classroom logistics inclusive for all students? As students interact with each other more often with active learning, how do you respond to “hot moments” or “difficult discussions” in the classroom? Incidents of race and racism, privilege and power regularly impact undergraduates on our campuses. Without training, knowing how to address these inequities effectively can be uncomfortable and challenging. This workshop is designed to build your confidence in using inclusive teaching strategies.
(1) explore the perspectives of underrepresented and minoritized students on our campuses,
(2) analyze their own and student identity and the impact that identity has on the learning environment,
(3) discuss a framework for addressing hot moments and difficult discussions in the classroom,
(4) practice what to say during these hot moments or difficult discussions, and
(5) examine a range of inclusive teaching approaches to use in the classroom and beyond.
An emphasis in the session is on “saying the words,” deconstructing conversations and receiving feedback. Part of Delta’s Effective and Inclusive Teaching Series.