Dates, Summer 2020: June 2 – August 18
Times: Tuesdays, 2:30-4:00PM CST
Registration opens: May 12
Note: Before you can register, you will need to create a (free) CIRTL account here.
Satisfies prerequisite toward the Delta Certificate: Course [C]
Build your own online course in this blended 12-week course that walks students through online course development in a mix of synchronous sessions and asynchronous activities. After attending an initial online session, students will work through 6 weekly, asynchronous modules about effective online pedagogy, each involving approximately 4-6 hours of readings, assignments, and peer feedback. Topics include:
- The roles and responsibilities of the online learner and the online instructor, and how they differ from those in face-to-face courses;
- Creating learning objectives;
- Developing engaging online learning activities;
- Assessing student learning;
- and teaching & learning in a synchronous online environment.
After 6 weeks of modules, students will have several weeks of project work time, where they will develop materials for an online course (or activity) they plan to teach in the future. The course will end with 4-5 more online sessions that will explore teaching with web conferencing software, and will give students the opportunity to refine their peer review and present their final materials to the full class.