Brett

Posed photo of a man's head and shoulders, dressed in a collared shirt, tie, and vest, smiling at the camera.
Brett, PhD Student, Educational Leadership & Policy Analysis, UW Madison

“There have been so many benefits in participating, ranging from networking with individuals in my own institution and  also others as part of the CIRTL network; developing my own teaching-as-research project has really solidified my interest and capabilities as an aspiring faculty member and researcher. … being able to employ the tools that I’ve been learning in [Delta] courses, whether it be really trying to refine those learning outcomes, or trying to incorporate more inclusive teaching practices in my own work.”

Inclusive teaching: “Participating in Delta has afforded me the opportunity to not only attain more experience in both articulating and demonstrating learning outcomes in my academic endeavors, but also serve as an outlet to refine my inclusive teaching practices.”

Preparing for the academic job market: “I believe my engagement in Delta has provided me with more “academic accessories” in my toolbelt as I seek a career in the academy, since I have attained experience in reviewing and crafting application statements.”

Becoming a more effective educator: “I am continually working to articulate and refine learning outcomes in the courses and projects I work on, which was thoroughly and thoughtfully reinforced in my Delta courses. I am appreciative of having space to obtain feedback on these as I become an emergent scholar.”

Internship program: “My Delta internship entailed me co-instructing an online course, which was a fantastic learning experience for adjusting my teaching techniques based on this mechanism, as well as gathering new insights into how to leverage platforms for inclusivity.”

My Path Through Delta

Courses and seminars: How to Teach Inclusively for Educating a Diverse Nation, Exploring Practices in the Classroom

Co-facilitator: Teaching College Students on the Autism Spectrum Workshop, How to Teach Inclusively for Educating a Diverse Nation (CIRTL online course)

Selected workshops: Individual Development Plan (IDP), Madison College/Delta Open House, Addressing Implicit Bias: Exploring Strategies for Student Success

Internship project: “Teaching Aspiring Faculty About Autism: Employing a Course Unit to Influence Perspectives and Pedagogical Practice”